MetOcean Solutions is a science-based consultancy and forecast supplier providing specialist numerical modelling and analytical solutions in meteorology and oceanography. Based in New Plymouth and Raglan (New Zealand) our international team works on projects and data analysis worldwide. We passionately believe in rigorous scientific method and in applying the latest information technology to data services.
MetOcean Solutions occupies several niche marine consultancy and service roles and has a rapidly growing forecast and hindcast sector. We are currently seeking a talented API platform architect to join our team.
Our employees enjoy an open-office, upbeat culture within a small coastal town on the North Island of New Zealand, 2 hours from Auckland. Our company promotes a positive working environment to achieve our shared goals, supported by flexible hours to ensure a healthy work-life balance. We encourage our people to bring fresh ideas to the table, rise to any challenge, and remain passionate about our products and the company mission.
We are seeking a self-starter to work in our multi-disciplinary R&D environment. Your role will be to manage and develop MetOcean Solutions’ external facing ocean and weather data APIs. Working closely with both the science R&D team and business development managers, you will be responsible for architecting, developing and delivering our API platform for commercial success. The role requires a strong technical background combined with a passion and aptitude for delivering real world solutions to end users.
Qualifications: Computer science degree or similar equivalent experience
To apply you must have the following skills and experience:
- At least 5 years development experience of web APIs and data delivery technologies.
- Microservice architectures and distributed systems.
- DevOps for a service based high uptime product.
- Development of documentation and supporting material for APIs as a commercial service.
- Developing SLAs.
- Working with large data sets.
Experience with the following would be beneficial, but not essential:
- Working with large geophysical datasets.
- SQL and noSQL database design and management.
- Web API security.
- Marketing and/or sales of APIs as a service.
- Oceanography or Meteorology.
Our ideal candidate would demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Ability to architect a complex technology platform.
- Innovative with an ability to develop effective solutions quickly.
- Able to explain complex concepts and services in a clear and simple way.
- Integrity and high standards.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Enjoys being part of a fast-moving team.
- Capable of working in a team with minimal supervision.
- Effective decision-making skills.
- A quick learner with a “can do” attitude.
- Methodical logical approach to problem-solving.
- An ability to prioritise tasks and manage projects in a timely fashion.
- A supportive and positive attitude.
- An interest in weather and/or oceanography.
- Passion for delivering end-user services to industry, government and the public.
Please note before you apply: This role is a permanent full-time position, but hours can be flexible to suit your lifestyle. Pay is based on skills and experience. The job position is in our Raglan office, New Zealand. Applications close on March 23rd 2018.
To apply for this position, please email your cover letter and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org . Please reference “Application for API Platform Architect” in the subject line.