MetOcean Solutions is a science-based consultancy and forecast supplier that provides specialist numerical modelling and analytical solutions in meteorology and oceanography. With offices based in Raglan and New Plymouth, New Zealand, our international team works on world-wide projects and data analysis. We passionately believe in applying the latest information technologies to data services and remaining grounded in rigorous scientific methods.
A medium-sized company, MetOcean Solutions occupies several niche consultancy and service roles and has a rapidly growing forecast and hindcast sector. We are currently seeking a talented oceanographic modeller to join our science team.
Employees of MetOcean Solutions enjoy an open-office, upbeat culture within a coastal village environment on the North Island of New Zealand. Our company atmosphere promotes a “work hard - play hard”’ attitude, supported by flexible hours to ensure a healthy work-life balance. We encourage our people to bring fresh ideas to the table, rise to any challenge, and remain passionate about our products and the company mission.
We are seeking a self-starter to work in our multi-disciplinary R&D environment. Your role will be to contribute to the wave modelling team across the areas of research, operational forecasting, hindcasting, and consultancy. You will be supported by other expert modellers and developers in our team.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work in a growing environment with an interesting and challenging mix of science and technology.
Qualifications: PhD or equivalent experience.
In order to apply you must have the following skills and experience:
- Expert knowledge of WAVEWATCH III and/or SWAN.
- Experience analysing and critically assessing oceanographic model data.
- Scientific code development skills in Python and Fortran.
- Experience working with, and organising, large geophysical datasets.
- Experience working on a Linux platform.
- Strong technical and scientific report writing skills in English, with the ability to communicate complex science to a range of audiences.
The following would be beneficial, but are not essential:
- Experience running long term model hindcasts.
- Involvement in an operational forecasting environment.
- Wave model code development.
- Experience interacting with databases.
- Working in a remote High Performance Compute environment.
Our ideal candidate would demonstrate the following characteristics:
- Integrity and high standards.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Effective decision-making skills.
- Methodical and logical approach to .problem solving
- Enjoys being part of a team that moves quickly.
- A quick learner with a “can do” attitude.
- An ability to prioritise tasks and manage projects in a timely fashion.
- A supportive and positive attitude.
- A curious mind that will encourage exploration.
Please note before you apply: This role is a permanent full-time position, but hours can be flexible to suit your lifestyle. Pay is based on skill and experience. The job position is in our Raglan Office, New Zealand. Applications close on June 15, 2017.
To apply for this position, please email your cover letter and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org